#14 Mid-January Update

You suck at updating your blog!” my friend Alan reminded me by text recently. Humbly, I agreed. I haven't posted any updates here over the last month or so.

The fact is, I haven’t had much in the way of new information to report since my last post on December 19. And, with the holidays wedged into the middle of it all, I didn't take the time to create a new post.

So, for Alan and for you... here’s an update in an attempt to suck less.

Surprisingly, even to me, I feel good. Really good. The only remaining side-effects from my radiation and chemotherapy treatments are that my finger tips are still a bit numb. The last blood test showed my cancer markers are way down, and that my white blood cells are returning to healthy levels. My medical team is very happy with my results so far.

So, given how good I feel, it seems counterintuitive that I need to proceed with surgery, which is the next step of my treatment. But, proceed I must.

After meeting with my surgeon last week, I am officially scheduled for surgery on Wednesday, February the 15th at 9am.

The goal of surgery is to remove the tumor from my rectum and the related lymph nodes that may be cancerous. The tissue will then be tested and will help determine the next steps of treatment, including the type of post-operative chemotherapy my oncologist will recommend, if any.

This is major surgery, so I’m expecting to be in the hospital for 4-6 days, if all goes well. Then home to recover for a period of time after that. I'll have to learn to use the ostomy bag and get used to my new normal.

I can’t promise to update you of my progress in the early part of my hospital stay, but Becky will send an update after surgery to let you know how I am doing.

Thank you again for your part in the steady stream of support, prayers, thoughts and care I receive regularly. I feel ready for this next stage of the process.

9 Comments

1. Jan Easton on January 23, 2017 at 4:29 pm

Hi Tom!
    So happy to recieve your update and the news that you are feeling good! It was so encouraging to see you posting pics of water animals again! I figured that was a good sign! Am praying and cheering you on…….
    Love to you and Becky!

2. Dawn on January 23, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Tom thank you for sharing from your heart! You are an inspiration for us. Still believing for complete healing and no surgery! You are such an incredible guy. They say you see a person’s true character in times of challenge and hardship. You’re everything I thought you were and more!

Dawn

3. Ev Jefferson on January 23, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Oh my love – for the record – you suck at nothing!!!

My thoughts and prayers are always with you. You will remain strong, I promise! I will look for the next e mail, probably from Becky and I cannot wait to see you in March.

Much love..

Shredder mom Ev

4. Ray Denny on January 24, 2017 at 8:49 am

Tom,

Great news! BTW, what a two-way blessing to have a friend who can indicate that “you suck” and not offend! In this case, most certainly, heartwarming. Be assured that all our thoughts are with you, Becky and your family – now, February 15 and of course, thereafter. You’re extraordinary to keep us posted. We’ll eagerly await Becky’s update.

5. Yvonne Ostrander on January 25, 2017 at 6:36 am

Dear Tom
    Where are the ‘LIKE’ buttons for the above posts? They say it all! Lots of hugs xoxoxo

6. Susan Kruger on January 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for the update, Tom. Glad you’re feeling good now and that cancer markers are down and that your body is healing from the treatments. YEAH! As Brian shared, you are and will continue to be in our prayers. Give our love to Becky, too!

7. Jody Sanders on February 13, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Tom, you are in my daily prayers and I will have you double time in thoughts and prayers February 15th. Thanks for posting your journey for all of us who care and love you! Much love to you and Becky❤

8. Lori on February 15, 2017 at 5:37 am

Tom, Ev is right! You suck at NOTHING! You are a motivator and business developer with none to compare! Most of all you have a heart with no perimeters! No matter the pain or stress you may be under, everyone else is always first. We all pray and encourage you to think about YOU at this moment, as we are all doing the same for you. Our prayers for you are daily but the days like today you will be with all of us in every thought! Thank you for being you! We all love you!

9. Tobi Innerfield on February 16, 2017 at 5:55 am

Prayers heading you way for a successful surgery and healing.